Project Management – Top Ten Tips for Success
Want to perfect your project management skills? Here are ten tips* for success.
1. Be clear about the business result that your project has been
commissioned to produce.
2. Plan the work the best way to get it done, then crash and fast track to get
to the requested date.
3. As you complete an iteration of planning be sure to desk test this iteration
against the previous iteration to verify you are still in scope.
4. Build completion criteria for each task. Completion criteria will keep both
the project manager and the person working the task clear about what
done looks like.
5. Team norms will help your team work together effectively.
6. The effect of taking on a change request is not always equal to the
number of days provided in the estimate. Be aware of the incremental
7. Build cost estimates for every task regardless of whether you are held
accountable for a budget or not. You need the practice and later you can
use these figures for Earned Value Management.
8. Calculate the cost of quality at the end of the planning phase and several
times during the execution of the project. Doing this will help hone your
skills to deliver a better quality project.
9. Build an effective plan to work with your executives the same way you
work with your team.
10. Have an attitude of success. It’s contagious.